2017 has been the worst year of my life. If you’ve read my blog you’ll know some of the challenges I’ve faced, the heartaches, the trauma. It’s been a massive struggle to get through it all, and at times I’m surprised I’m still here. What with the loss of a loved one, family health scares, big family fallout, friendship issues, therapy / transference issues and abandonment, my own worsening mental health which landed me at the MIU a couple of times in the last few weeks or so.
It’s been a battle… one I haven’t won yet. In fact I’m close to surrendering, waving the white flag and giving up on life. But so far I’m still fighting. And I thought I’d list the positives from the year… either things I enjoyed, achieved or got through. I suggest you come up with a list like this too, to show that even in the darkest nights there’s a little light to be seen.
I’m sure there’s more, but here’s what I came up with:
Good Things About 2017
- I’ve spoken out about mental health more, which helps me and hopefully others too.
- Did a 5k raising over £300 for Parkinson’s UK in memory of my granddad.
- Gave up Chocolate for Lent / March “Dechox” raised £80 for the British Heart Foundation.
- Ben Montague studio gig – Ben is a great musician and lovely guy, you should check him out…. was a great gig – and met two of my Facebook friends finally!
- Seeing The Band musical. A really great show!
- Looking after my brother’s place while he was away – gave me a much needed break – and got to catch up with a friend who lived nearby.
- Built more confidence serving customers at work. Long way to go, but progress!
- Went to Charmouth for the day.
- Went to the doctor about several issues I had put off for months / years. And had tests done. Very daunting, but got through it.
- Reached out for help from mental health services (even if it didn’t go well, reaching out was a big step).
- Phoned Samaritans for the first time, when in despair. A big deal for me with a fear of using the phone.
- Managed to sell a ticket I didn’t want anymore – figured it out by myself.
- Cancelled a booking and got a refund on the phone – nerve-wracking!
- Couple of gigs.
- Went to fireworks with my Goddaughter for her first fireworks display.
- Successfully babysat both of the kids at the same time, for the first time!
- Harry Potter Studio Tour!!
- Went to the zoo with my Godson.
- Came off Cabergoline (so far so good!)
- Finally got over someone who was no good for me.
- Created a crisis box.
- Made new friends from therapy.
- Persevered with my therapy group, determined to see it through to the end. Despite major issues and times I wanted to quit, I didn’t.
- Got back into writing poetry.
- Tweeting about BPD connected me to many people on Twitter, who I’ve had interesting conversations with, and hope to continue next year.
- Had over a thousand views on my blog – over 800 viewers this year. Reaching UK, USA, Germany, India, Australia, Canada, South Africa, Ireland, Russia, Ukraine, Brazil, Austria, Bermuda, Vietnam, Israel, Hong Kong SAR China, Bangladesh, Singapore, Serbia, Paraguay, Turkey, Argentina, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Denmark, Belgium, Trinidad & Tobago, Japan, New Zealand, Sweden, Romania, Nepal, Slovakia, Switzerland, Pakistan, Iraq, Georgia, Mozambique, South Korea, Hungary, Cambodia, Iceland, and any other who may have appeared since writing this……. Hello to all of you from all around the world – thank you for taking the time to read my posts. I really am a blog nerd, and love seeing where you’re all from!
And last but by no means least…. the most important achievement this year….